About the Foundation
In 1911, the City of Winnipeg Municipal Hospital (King George, King Edward, Princess Elizabeth) was founded as a modern hospital for infectious diseases such as typhoid fever, diphtheria, small pox and Tuberculosis. By the late 1950’s the focus turned to long-term care and in 1983 the first Day Hospital was built. In 1995, the turn-of-the-century buildings were replaced by a new 388 bed rehabilitation and long-term facility and renamed Riverview Health Centre.
Since 1997, Riverview Health Centre Foundation has been operating as an organization of dedicated volunteers and staff who work hard to further enhance the Centre’s ability to provide quality care and home-like surroundings to all residents and patients. Contributors to the Foundation are essential in meeting Riverview’s needs by providing funding for new equipment, special services, updated facilities, innovative programs, research and education.
The modern facilities of Riverview Health Centre were open to the public in 1997. The Centre includes; personal care units, hospital units, the Day Hospital, the Atrium which is a central area housing a cafeteria, gift shop, information centre, auditorium and Worship Centre. The Princess Elizabeth, which is the only original building remaining, is home to the Centre’s administration offices, the Riverview Research Centre and the Riverview Health Centre Foundation.